Day 8 The podcast process
Wow its already lucky number 8. Only two more days to go and you are on your way. Today we look at the podcast process in detail so you can begin to understand how we envisage this partnership working. You know what we do, what you do and where we can be flexible. Podcasting is not another thing you have to do. It's something you get to do. So why not have fun, be crazy, be weird.....
Most importantly lets enjoy the process....
THE EMAIL TRAIL...
The following mail templates help you build on our proven end to end email engagement process. These templates are designed to be sent from the host to the interview guest and have been created and refined over 2 years of continuous use and feedback.
Click below for email templates
THE PROCESS FLOW...
The following typical and detailed sequential process will repeat for each of the six episodes created in the mini series. The brackets represent who completes this task out of you (the host), the guest and The Mentor List team.
- Confirm and schedule guest for interview - Lock in a time and location for the upcoming recording
- Prepare guest for interview - Send guest a guest information pack and also request any information you require from them
- Prepare yourself as a host to interview guest - Research your guest's background. Search online, watch or listen to previous interviews if they exist. Think about questions and topics you could ask. Always research with an angle in mind or search specifically for the angle of the interview.
Episode Recorded (Host & Guest - The Mentor List team if required)
- Record Interview - The fun part. Your guest is prepared, you are prepared now its time to make a great show. Dave or one of the team will be with you for your firs recording at a minimum to make sure you put your best foot forward.
- Record episode introduction - Episode intros range from 30 seconds to a minute. Its best to record after the interview, even directly after in the same room as your have the insight and highlights you can mention to lead the listener into what to expect.
- Save interview and episode introduction audio files in dropbox - Once we have the audio we will get to work in editing the episode. Also provide any notes to the editor, these may be insights or editing notes you jotted down in the episode, (eg cut coughing fit at around 28 minute mark).
- Edit episode - Our experts will do their best, to make you sound your best. Taking care of background noise and unwanted sounds. Our experts will eliminate unwanted audio such as silent pauses, ums and ah’s, cough’s, retakes as well as calculating optimal playback speeds. After processing the episode we will go through the quality control phase and review for the second time. This will allow us to ensure a polished end-product. You will receive a first polished draft and be invited to comment on any editing suggestions. Once actioned by us you will receive an updated version for review and further suggestions if required.
- Create webpage for episode - Every episode becomes a "blog" post on our website which you can find in the PODCAST page - This content can also be saved on your own website.
- Share draft episode with mini series host and then interview guest
- Interview guest confirms that they are happy with the recording and signs legal disclaimer
- Create show notes
- Episode completed and scheduled for relaese
- Episode released
Episode promoted (by all)
- Article written covering the Podcast episode
- Article shared with host
- Article released
Article promoted (by all)
Cross off the following and email it through to email@example.com. (Again, don't worry it doesn't need to be final. Just have a go)
- Decide how best to modify the Mentor List email templates or design your own email templates for your future mini series guests.
- We use hubspot for our emails and customer relationship management tool. Their is a free version you can download here www.hubspot.com - Consider if this is an option for you. It does a lot of things, but we find it useful to allow us to store email templates and creates self bookable meetings for guests.
Over the 10 days you will receive an email each day taking you through a specific area of focus. The first five days is designed to give you a general body of knowledge. You will hear from Podcasting, Speaking and Marketing experts in the context of creating your very own successful Podcast show.
Each daily email will provide instructions about what the outcome, purpose and action steps are for that day. The program is delivered through a mix of Video, Audio and practical exercises and on average will take 30 minutes to complete
If you have any questions email Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org
The 1st five days is purely educational and exploratory.