Start before you're ready
Rich is an experienced corporate transformation professional, he is the Founder and CEO of Yoga Mat Co, and the Founder and CEO of The Coaching People.
“Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.” Rumi (13th century poet).
I’ve always been into personal development even since I was little and I always knew that I wanted to be an entrepreneur but it pretty much stopped there. I was working in corporate, miserable and looking at others around me in similar roles that were also miserable and decided that I had to find a way out.Based on building a solid foundation for myself inside and outside of the corporate landscape, I have developed a coaching framework to help people quickly gain clarity into their current state and move forward to create their own version of freedom and escape the 9 to 5. It’s the framework that I used to get me to where I currently am and I also get to help others achieve their version of freedom and success. I have founded and run two businesses and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been! I invest my time doing work that I love and I find it very fulfilling.
The challenge I was facing:
I was working in the corporate world in an organisation that didn’t align with my values; I was miserable with what I was doing and started to look for a way out. I had the desire to create the life of my dreams, define my own version of freedom and create a business and life that was representative and in alignment with who I really am. The subsequent challenge was that I started trying to find my passion and purpose, the one thing that was “IT” for me. By focusing on the one thing, I ended up being a massive blocker for me and I kept starting and stopping things. Instead I concentrated on finding and focusing what is in alignment for me which led me to my passion and purpose.
Why did I get into coaching?
I am completely passionate about helping others break out of the 9 to 5 and achieve their version of freedom. I wanted to help people and I knew that the framework I have developed operating my own businesses, could fundamentally assist others. I coupled my business learning with going back to University to get my Post Grad in organisational executive coaching and started The Coaching People.
Why did I start Yoga Mat Co?
Yoga has become a big part of my life and there are such incredible people in the industry. I wanted to create an organisation that reflected the values of yoga and provide fantastic products to yogis of all levels and abilities. One of the things I take away from Yoga is that every journey is one’s own, hopefully supported by a bunch of incredible people. Yoga is about physical and spiritual transformation through getting to know thy self and Yoga Mat Co helps me facilitate that for other people.
Advice for yourself:
- Whatever you do, do it with the authenticity of who you really are.
- Write your own story - don’t get caught up in thinking you have to do it a certain way because everyone else is.
- Start before you are ready and keep going.
- Give yourself time; it’s not about achieving perfection.
- Ask for help and surround yourself with like-minded people.
- Get out of your own way.
- Look at where you already have momentum.
- Your positive thoughts really do create your reality.
- Come from a place of authenticity.
- Understand and write down how you operate and what you need to be successful.
- Look at where you are spending your time and use it wisely.
- Listen to your body, feelings, energy and emotions.
- Go with your gut instinct, it will guide you well in everything you do.